Monday, October 24, 2011

Backgrounds

In my life-long quest to become a better and more dynamic photographer, I not only have an insatiable appetite for looking at and reading about photography, but I frequently experiment with different elements in order to learn by doing.  The process or the journey helps me really focus on the whole image rather than being a quick draw photographer.

This week, I was pondering backgrounds and how the colors and textures of the backgrounds, as well as the light falling on them, add to the final image.  Pulling out different fabrics, plants, and food items and shooting a small seed head from a Western salsify, also known as goatsbeard (tragopogon dubius), I realized again how much blue is in basic black, how much yellow can be in what my eye perceives as white, and how all the surrounding surfaces add hues to the final product.  This is particularly true in color photography but as you can see in the photographs below, it is also true when the images are layered with a tone.

The backdrop here is a charcoal grey wool vest, and the way the tangle of fibers pop is astonishing.


The backdrop here is a batch of warm, dark roasted coffee beans.  You can see, even with tone applied, that there is a lot of yellow present.


And this was the most lovely accident.  I was preparing other back drops and noticed the light and reflection of the goatsbeard I had just placed on a granite tabletop.  The photograph also makes an interesting study when the image is turned ninety degrees to create a vertical.




until next Monday,

DB

a passion for the image


1 comment:

  1. This is some of my favorite work of yours, Daryl. The concept of different backgrounds and of color that's almost like toned black and white is very compelling and I encourage you to pursue this. Do a bunch and have a portfolio, a book or show. Really, really good!

    ReplyDelete