Monday, September 6, 2010

in praise of local #2

 In my inaugural blog, I wrote about the possibilities of photographing your local surroundings, whether at home or work.  The two photographs featured were shot off our front and east porch.  Just your basic sky shots during very extraordinary conditions, both made in the early evening hours of late summer after or during thunderstorms.

Continuing the "local" theme today, I need to admit a weakness.  I can't help myself!  That weakness is photographing food and flowers brought by guests and friends to our home.  Before food is ever eaten and after flowers are arranged, they are photographed in different settings.  It is a wonderful exercise in light, design, balance, focus, and printing, since I make archival greeting cards for them on Crane stationary for those who honored us with their gifts.

A perfect example.  My husband and I went to dinner at a friend's place last week and she sent us home with peaches.  They were very close to being overripe so I had to work fast.  A painter who was also at dinner threw down the literal gauntlet by saying that many of his fellow painters say "Put three peaches in a bowl, paint them, and it will sell."  Rising to the challenge, my backdrops, bowls, glasses, all flew out of the closet.  Such fun.  


                  
This same friend had previously brought some of the most beautiful eggs I have ever seen.  You guessed it.  Out came my trusty camera and here are two of the photographs. 

Getting close and tight, shooting from a variety of angles, isolating and bouncing light from one surface to another can produce wonderful results.    


                              


until next Monday,

DB
a passion for the image



No comments:

Post a Comment