Sunday, April 1, 2012

gifts

It has been a tradition with me of giving photographs in return when someone presents me with a gift of nature - flowers, eggs, honey, fruit - and that tradition continued this week.

Carrie and Mike, tango dancers extraordinaire and teachers, gave me a beautiful bouquet of tulips and snapdragons last week.  I put them in water and admired them, but of course, the following afternoon, with two different cameras in hand, I began to study and photograph them.  You probably know me well enough by now from reading my blog, that I sometimes cannot resist altering photographs in either Lightroom or PhotoShop.  My contention still and always will be that a photographer must take a good image with the camera.  PhotoShop does not fix problems in a photograph, just as wine does not improve with age if it didn't begin life as an excellent vintage.

With that in mind, here are images that are both unaltered and altered.  The only alteration to the snapdragon shot below is cropping to emphasize detail.




One tulip straight up, the other with a twist, adjusted using filtration, tint, and exposure in Lightroom.





Finally, an image cropped, resulting in the look of a botanical print.




until next Monday,

DB

a passion for the image

No comments:

Post a Comment