Monday, June 10, 2013

wedding photography

Many photographers have expressed their disdain for photographing weddings.  The reasons are numerous and varied, but there are givens in the field.  The photographer needs to truly enjoy the company of human beings, and capturing their images.  He or she needs to be organized, have good communication skills, both verbal and written, and a wedding photographer must be brave.  I love photographing weddings, and even with my own failings, I still quaver with apprehension and uneasiness before the events.  I have dreams of being late, not being able to find the location, or worse still, not packing equipment or having multiple camera failures.  Years ago in Santa Fe, I drove by a church on a Monday morning and stopped to see what was going on.  It was a reshoot for a wedding that had happened over the weekend and the photographer had experienced equipment failure.  That is the ultimate nightmare for a wedding photographer.  But, despite all of these possibilities, once I get involved in a wedding, I love every minute.  And I particularly love the little surprises that occur and by dumb luck, I managed to capture.

The next couple of blogs will feature the wedding I recently photographed near Alpine, Arizona, at Hannagan Meadow Lodge.  Here are a few of the wonderful surprises.  In the first, I was shooting images of the wedding preparation and stumbled on this scene of the bride's sisters putting on eye makeup, in mirror image fashion.




No, this is not Johnny Depp, but the best man




A truly van Gogh-esque flower selection topping the cake




until next Monday,

DB

a passion for the image
 

1 comment:

  1. I especially like seeing candid shots like the two sisters and the best man (I assume that was unposed). A friend used to do the candids at weddings while the other photog did the lit, posed stuff.

    They're all perfectly exposed as always.

    ReplyDelete