Sunday, August 25, 2013

Backgrounds and light

No blog last week?  Two words.  Jury duty.  This week, I was given the wonderful opportunity to photograph our friends' beautiful gardens.  More on that later, but the process brought me back to our vegetables, particularly a number of varieties of lettuce.  The colors and veins spreading from the main ribs across the leaves like arroyos across the land always lead to my camera.

What would be the best background to capture the intricate structure?  Is the "front" or the "back" of the leaf more interesting or is each simply different?  

I began with a linen background thinking it would give more of a "botanical print" look.  Lighting was furnished by nature from the southern exposure as well as a fill disc to bounce light on to the top of the leaf. 



Then, I held up a leaf to the sky, with white clouds.  This might work!









More back lighting reveals structure


The subjects then became lunch!

until next Monday,

DB

a passion for the image






 




1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! These are all lovely. I favor the ones against the clouds. These reveal the vein like striations of the leaves. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete