Monday, October 14, 2013

early autumn abstract

Anyone who uses a camera knows the feeling.  You are on a road trip - a weekend outing or an extended jaunt - with the camera close by, thinking "This is such a gorgeous day, I want to capture it to enhance my memory."  Perhaps you have a specific shot in mind, such as aspen or oak wearing their Sunday best, and your plan is to achieve that single shot reliving how beautiful the mountains are in autumn.

I have written about intentional luck here before and when I shoot, I try to think about specific places that "work" for me, look for a few more, or return to see how different the light and conditions are on any particular day.  Such was the case on a return trip from Tierra Wools in Los Ojos near Chama.  Highway 64 on the Tierra Amarilla (west) side of the pass has a small, almost hidden pond or catchment I find fascinating, despite the fact that I have been unable to photograph it the way my mind sees it.  That changed a couple of weeks ago when all elements aligned to create a near impressionistic image.  The time of day wasn't even "proper" according to the rule about shooting between 10 a. m. and 2 p.m.  But the breeze was gentle, creating a design-packed reflection of the still green aspen on at the pond's edge.





Click once on the image to enlarge and see the details nature left.  I can get lost in this image and hope you find some surprises as well!


until next Monday,

DB

a passion for the image

No comments:

Post a Comment