Monday, June 2, 2014

environmental portraiture

In 1994, I began the task of photographing people around New Mexico, initially as an environmental portraiture photography course project.  As I worked, it became quite obvious the images were taking on lives of their own, contributing to a body of work which eventually became A Place Like No Other:  people of an enchanted land, published in 2002.

In the beginning, I approached people I knew.  It was a much less painful way to give myself a firm kick in the rear to get started while I got my thoughts and objectives organized.  At that point, a leap of faith was required and I began contacting people who I thought would be good subjects, keeping my fingers crossed that each would be willing to work with a photographer who had no real reputation.  Quite a number of my scenics had been published in New Mexico Magazine, the Albuquerque Journal, the Territory Ahead catalog and Organic Gardening, but a full-blown Ansel Adams-Annie Leibovitz reputation doesn't necessarily follow that work.  It was a terrifying proposition.  But strange things started happening.  Every person I contacted (of roughly 150 people I photographed) with the exception of one, not only agreed to be part of the project, but offered other people they felt absolutely "needed" to be photographed.

Eli Brown, of Fairview and La Villita, New Mexico, was my first subject/victim.  He was a sweetheart and was extremely patient with me, while I worked around him with my 35mm Minolta.  Here is a scan of the photograph I chose for the book.




When I decided to embark on this type of environmental portraiture project again,  I chose a person with whom I knew I would be comfortable, and in turn was comfortable in front of a camera.  Bless his heart, Richard Spera agreed, and last week, we had a truly lovely session, in and out of overcast skies, at his guest house complex, Casa Gallina.




Many thanks to both of these gents for their willingness to work with me.  If you have thoughts about people who should be photographed, please email.  I am starting a new list!

until next Monday,

DB

a passion for the image



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're doing this again even if I want to something similar but maybe more studio style. Your first of Eli Brown shows his warmth and good humor. Richard shows a relaxed ease and was a perfect new victim. I look forward to many more. I love the soft but identifiable background in Richard's portrait. I think he'll really like it.

    ReplyDelete