Saturday, October 8, 2011

color of chaos

Even with a dictionary and Thesaurus full of superlatives with which I could describe the colors in the mountains this autumn, I find myself incredibly tongue-tied.  The mountains are full of reds, salmons, corals, yellows, and golds in a chaotic and gaudy tangle of color, contrasted with forest primeval mystery and Maxfield Parrish fantasies.  Quite frankly, I cannot remember an autumn this spectacular, and with luck, all of you were able to witness it.  If not, here are a few shots to let you sample the flavors.  Because many of the hues are so rich and bold, I will add a photographer's note.  NONE of the colors in any of these images has been enhanced!

This photograph includes multiple layers of color, within stands of aspen and the oaks surrounding them, including bare aspen in the background which fell prey to and were stripped by caterpillars.  These failed to produce new leaves during the season.


By clicking on the image below, you can enlarge it enough to see the red scrub oak in the background.  They are really putting on a show this year!


A small forest of scrub oak trees doing their best to make me suck air at high altitude...



...followed by a weekend surprise at our house!


until next Monday,

DB

a passion for the image



2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous images, Daryl. I love "gaudy tangle of color." That's real poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos, Daryl! I do miss the color of the aspen trees in the fall.

    ReplyDelete