Monday, October 31, 2011

sent across the pond

Our friend, Victoria, emailed photographs from a friend she had recently visited in Scotland.  So I thought I would bounce a few back to him in this morning's blog.

These were shot during two different trips, one in February when all the inn keepers to a person asked why we were visiting during February, and one in April five years later.  The one thing that may be obvious from these images is the fact that the light is very low.  In a latitude that far north (between 56 and 58 degrees), the sun doesn't rise until 8:30 or so and sets around 3:30 in February, so I had to make the best of those hours.  These were scanned from Fujichrome Velvia slides.

Below is the Glenfinnan Bay of Loch Shiel, in western Scotland, where a monument to Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie) was built in 1815.


The light was extraordinary when I took this photograph of the Glenfinnan Viaduct.  I don't recall this but apparently film of the Viaduct was used liberally in the early Harry Potter films.


Low sun is again apparent below in an image made on the Isle of Mull in west central Scotland.


Here's to you and your friends, Peter!

until next Monday,

DB

a passion for the image


2 comments:

  1. Great photos of Glenfinnan. Not everyone here appreciates the winter but the light is often very atmospheric. I think you've caught that well in these photos. Nice photo from Mull too - I see you were being stalked by one of the local swans! People feed them in the winter so it probably thought it would get a snack from you. Excellent, thanks for posting these.
    Tioraidh
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures! I'll have to go back and check the early H. Potter films, I do have the DVDs.

    ReplyDelete