Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pear play

I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thinking about the abundance of culinary delights we sampled over the last week led me to a photographic contemplation of the humble pear.  In many ways, so simple and beautiful, and yet a complicated fruit.  Add to that the concept of perspective, and I had my hands full with camera and instruction manual (yes, I do consult it frequently since I have not memorized it).   My inability to comprehend geometry made the process more than challenging.  All part of a photographer's education.

So here is a shot that although it was made from just slightly above the jar and pear, is definitely listing.




In the next shot, I placed the camera on the table surface and made the photograph from the same level as the honey and pear.



The next two shots involve perspective, which I indicated earlier is much clearer now.  My husband, an architect and weaver, did a series of sketches that helped me understand what was happening between the level of the camera and the relative position of the pears.




Pear in a box.  Almost got it.





Thanks to Andrea for inadvertently supplying material for the photograph - her magical A's Bees honey!

until next Monday,

DB

a passion for the image

1 comment:

  1. This is a fun and enlightening exploration of subject and perspective and all of the images are a delight. I particularly like the shallow depth of field evident in one and two and would be interested in even less DOF, really soft in the background.

    ReplyDelete